I have been on a quest since my son was born to remove all the toxic chemicals from our home. It only seems logical that if I can do the same job with something that’s not poisonous when ingested, that I should. I started with the BabyGanics and Seventh Generation items, both of which I still use for laundry and dish detergent. You will notice that rather than referring you to poison control if these are ingested the warning label instructs merely to drink lots of water. I have also found multiple solutions for do-it-yourself glass and surface cleaners using common and inexpensive household items (rubbing alcohol, vinegar, baking soda, lemon). I was absolutely amazed when a stain on my Corian counter was removed in just a few seconds by rubbing a lemon cut in half!
My son may have grown out of putting his mouth on everything, but our skin is our biggest organ and it absorbs any residue left by toxic chemicals we touch. Recently I finally threw out the last of the standard suite of bathroom cleaners, floor cleaners, and cleaning sprays. I will keep you posted if I find any other wonder-solutions but check out our cleaning board on Pinterest for a good start. Please share with us yours in the comments!
Last but not least, if you believe like I do that we should eliminate toxic chemicals wherever possible, join us by supporting reform of the Toxic Substances Control Act. Visit fighttoxins.com for more information and to sign the petition!
Note: this post contains affiliate links.