This is my first current event post in a new format attempting to give you more with less; more topics with less details. Of course we will still will follow our self-imposed rules of engagement but this should be a quicker glance. We want your comments! to let us know if you prefer more details or this shorter, headline only format.
- Ukraine’s parliament granted limited self-rule to regions in the east of the country as an olive branch to those who seek independence from Kiev . The current ceasefire is barely holding.
- Russia continues its sanctions escalation with the US and EU and threatened limiting oil supplies to EU countries reselling their gas to Ukraine. Eight Russian aircraft were intercepted by F-22s yesterday 55mi from the coast of Alaska (145mi within the defensible airspace).
- Two US and one British journalist were beheaded by IS on television in Iraq. The U.S. began new airstrikes in as part of Obama’s pledge to defeat the group, now estimated to be 30 strong, with support of multiple other countries in the region. France has also joined in airstrikes.
- In Syria, the US continues reconnaissance flights, is considering airstrikes, Congress just approved a plan to arm and train Syrian rebels to combat IS.
- Africa: the US is sending 3000 troops to Liberia to build 17 treatment centers and combat the exponential spread of the deadly Ebola virus.
- An Israeli & Palestinian ceasefire brokered by Egypt in August continues
- The two Afghan presidential candidates who have been in a heated dispute over the election results signed a power sharing agreement.
- The Supreme Court ruled cell phone data can’t be searched or used as evidence without warrant and that private companies can opt out of contraception requirements in the Affordable Care Act for religious reasons (Hobby Lobby).
- Boeing and SpaceX both won contracts to build spacecraft to shuttle crews to the international space station.
- Wildfires are raging in Northern California.
NOTE: We often use magazine covers for our images in the headline posts… this is where we get a lot of our news so we’re sharing our favorites. We have affiliated with MagazineAgent.com because we have found them to be the cheapest for purchasing our own subscriptions so check them out if you decide you need one!